How To Jailbreak iPod Touch to OS 3.0 With Linux And VirtualBox
This is part two of the tutorial on installing iPhone OS 3.0 on an iPod Touch 2G using Linux and VirtualBox. In the previous tutorial, I described how to upgrade the firmware on the iPod using Apple’s iTunes application. This was a necessary step in jailbreaking the device, so make sure to follow it before starting this tutorial. I will assume that you did…
Note that there is also a reason why I did not include the iPhone in the title of this post. iPod Touch is jailbroken using redsn0w, which I understand is different from the application used to jailbreak an iPhone. Since I do not have an iPhone to test with, you are on your own. So to reiterate, this tutorial only works with iPod Touch 2G!
- Upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0
- Connect your iPod to your computer via USB.
- Fully shut off your iPod. This can be done by holding the power button and waiting until the message “Slide to power off” appears. Then slide the slider to turn off the iPod.
- Download the latest RedSn0w, for which a link can always be found in the iPod Touch Fans forum or downloaded from the Pirate Bay. As of writing this post, RedSn0w is at version 0.72
- Unpack the downloaded ZIP file on your desktop and go into the extracted folder.
- Double click the redn0w.exe file to start the jailbreaking program.
- Click on the “Browse” button and find the 3.0 firmware package. It should be in the folder C:Users%USER%AppDataRoamingApple ComputeriTunesiPod Software Updates
- Wait for RedSn0w to load the package. After it is done, the window should say “IPSW successfully identified” and the next button should be enabled.
- Click the next button and wait for RedSn0w to download some data and patch the package.
- In the next page, make sure that Install Cydia is checked and Install Icy is NOT checked. Both Cydia and Icy are two very great applications that install jailbroken applications on your iPod, but RedSn0w 0.72 has a bug due to which installing both will result in both of them not working. It is recommended that you only install Cydia and use it to install the latest Icy.
- Click next to continue.
- Read the text (aka make sure your iPod is turned off and connected) and click next.
- In the next page, you will get the instructions on how to put your iPod into DFU mode. Read and follow them. To summarize, you hold the power button for 3 seconds, then without releasing it, press the home button until the iPod screen turns black. Let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button. After you are in DFU mode, RedSn0w will continue.
- RedSn0w will start the jailbreaking process, but stop at “Waiting for reboot“. Don’t bother waiting, because that message will never change. What you have to do is right click on the USB Devices icon in the lower right corner of the VirtualBox window and click on the entry for your iPod. This will force VirtualBox to unregister the iPod and RedSn0w will automatically proceed with the jailbreak. VirtualBox might print out some error, but you can ignore it.
- Wait for a few minutes…. In the meantime, your iPod will display the message “Downloading Jailbreak Data…”.
- Hit Finish. The rest of the jailbreak will happen on the iPod and so you can safely unplug the device and turn off VirtualBox.
- Enjoy your jailbroken iPod!